My pedagogical philosophy is somewhat traditional, but open when it comes to the
song selection and genres of music. I believe it is important to develop strong
technique and sight reading abilities, while understanding the music through ear
training and theory analysis. Students should have a foundation in classical
piano to equip them with the proper technique and musical foundations for other
styles as well. Most importantly, the lessons have to be enjoyable and
productive for the student. I encourage my students to play music they will
thoroughly enjoy. I strongly encourage them to compose and improvise from the
very beginning as music is a tonal language and just as we improvise when we
speak, being able to improvise on piano helps build musical fluency. I enjoy
working with adult students as they are naturally motivated.
Elementary School, Pre-teen, Teenage, Adult
- Piano Instructor [1997 - Present]
- West Music, Coralville [Feb 1997 - May 2004]
- J. Page Studio, 1570 S. 1st Ave, Iowa City [Jun
2005 - Present]
- The majority of my students have been between
the ages of 7 and 18, but I have also had experience
with very young and adult students. I have taught
the following genres of music: jazz, blues,
classical, pop, and rock.
- Church musician -t St. Wenceslaus Church (Nov. 1992 - l Aug. 1996).
- Pianist, Von Maur - Iowa City (March 1996 - l Sept. 1999).
- Substitute organist at First Church Scientist. (1997 - 2009).
- I perform at wedding ceremonies, parties, and other events. [1994 - Present]
Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance (BS ), Indiana University -
Bloomington, Indiana (1973)
1570 1st Ave. Suite K
Iowa City, IA 52240